Technical Researcher - Social Link Analytics (RE2)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Biostatistics, High Performance Computing (HPC)
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 700 staff from 49 countries.
Look at the BSC experience:
BSC-CNS YouTube Channel
Let's stay connected with BSC Folks!
Context And Mission
Within the Life Sciences Department, we are looking for a research engineer to work on a recently granted project to explain the relationship between the vulnerability of Internet users to fake news and the dynamics of propagation and repercussion of these contents on social media. By combining experimental research with quantitative and qualitative methods, the project will explore the phenomenon from a holistic and comprehensive perspective. The research engineer will be part of a team within this project that will develop tools, methods, and guidelines that can be employed by public health institutions, media organizations, and the general public to counteract the dissemination of fake news.
The work will be carried out at the Social Link Analytics unit (https://www.bsc.es/discover-bsc/organisation/scientific-structure/social-and-media-impact-evaluation). The unit develops methodologies to determine the social consequences of scientific projects, by analyzing large data sets to assess the consequences of the implementation of specific projects, monitoring their progress and assisting in the planning of new projects. The successful candidate will interact directly with a team working in text mining and language processing covering both domain-application and project development related aspects.
- Develop tools to collect, clean, process, and analyze social media data;
- Study how disinformation propagates across digital media and within social networks by understanding patterns of dissemination of fake news;
- Design and implement tools that track the propagation of disinformation and facilitate the profiling of social media users who participate in discussions around fake news;
- Participate in writing grant proposals and scientific articles to disseminate research results.
Desired skills and expertise
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Information and Communication Technologies, Mathematics, or related discipline, and 2-3 of working experience will be considered.
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Proficient software developer. Programming experience in Python and with data science tools to obtain, curate, clean, analyze, and visualize information.
- At least 1 year of experience in analyzing large volumes of data from different sources.
- Experience in data mining and machine learning, and in the use of statistical algorithms (K-Means, Clustering, Decision Trees, Random Forest, Naive Bayes, Lineal Regression ...), experience on Natural Language Processing, and Social Networks Analysis is highly desirable.
- Experience working with the APIs of social media platforms.
- Knowledge of systems administration. Ability to configure, upkeep, operate, and maintain Linux servers.
- Experience working with No-SQL databases, like MongoDB.
- Experience with data visualization and/or web development.
- Experience preparing project proposals for grants.
- Personal skills to work in multidisciplinary work environments.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Able to achieve targets in an efficient way and respecting the standard of quality required.
- Creativity and Analysis capability.
- Ability to take initiatives, prioritize the tasks and work under set deadlines.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
Contract duration and other benefits
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year, renewable renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details