Advanced Technician / Scientific systems administrator (Reference 2020/147)
- Centre / Institution:
- Institute for Health Science Research Germans Trias i Pujol
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Biomedical Informatics
- scientific computing systems administration, linux, high perfomance computing
- More information:
- Download file
The IGTP seeks a ADVANCED TECHNICIAN to fill the position of Linux systems administrator, responsible for overseeing the High Performance Computing Center (CPD) of the Institute for Research in Science Health Germans Trias i Pujol (IGTP), which includes a cluster with 240 nodes, several servers, workstations, 500 Tb of disk storage and tape backup system, to support the research groups of the center.
The tasks to be performed are:
- Installation and maintenance of the operating system (Linux, currently Debian).
- User access control.
- System monitoring.
- Queue system management (SGE).
- Software installation and upgrade.
- Database management.
- Management and installation of central servers as well as servers belonging to the different research groups and the High Content Genomics and Bioinformatics Platform
- Management of scientific data backups.
- Maintenance of hardware dedicated to scientific computing.
- Consulting for the acquisition and purchase of new computer equipment.
- Training of research staff in the proper use of scientific computer equipment
- Coordination with the IT department (responsible for network administration, email and Windows software).
- Documentation of all Linux administrative tasks and procedures.
The Germans Trias i Pujol Institute for Research in Health Sciences (IGTP) is a public research center located on the Can Ruti Biomedical Campus, Badalona, near Barcelona. The IGTP focuses its research on improving the care and life of patients. The institute is attached to one of the largest teaching hospitals in the Barcelona area; the Germans Trias University Hospital (HUGTP) and is located on the surrounding biomedical campus, Campus Can Ruti. It is a CLOSE center; member of the biocluster supported and supervised by the Generalitat de Catalunya. It is also accredited as a Center of Excellence by the Instituto Carlos III, in this sense, it acts as an umbrella organization for scientific research on campus, where it works closely with the other centers located there. Bioinformatics and, in particular, genomics is a research area shared between many research groups on the Can Ruti campus who use the computer cluster regularly, dedicated to scientific computing.
Desired skills and expertise
- Degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in configuring and managing Linux computer clusters.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (bash, python, perl, ruby).
- Experience in automation of the installation of the operating system.
- Experience with configuration management tools (puppet, ansible).
- High analytical and diagnostic ability.
- Basic understanding of the principles of computer security and good practices.
- Experience in virtualization technology.
- Experience in control systems and firewalls.
- Knowledge in installation and maintenance of scientific software.
- Practical knowledge of Linux systems administration in a biomedical research and / or scientific computing environment and / or communications with LINUX and UNIX based systems (including Mac OS X).
- Advanced or higher level of English.
- A PhD in Computer Science in the field of biomedicine will be valued positively.
- Demonstration of network administration skills will be valued positively
- Windows administrators will not be considered.
Contract duration and other benefits
- Fixed position. An indefinite contract will be made if any of the assumptions established in the General State Budgets of 2018 are met. Otherwise, the position will be temporarily covered by an interim contract until the fiscal and financial measures established by the General Budgets of the Generalitat de Catalunya and the basic regulations of the General State Budgets authorize a new call for the vacancy with an indefinite contract.
- Annual brute salary appropriate for the present call in function of experience and abilities of the candidate distributed in 12 payments.
- Child benefits (childcare vouchers).
- 23 days holiday and 9 days for personal matters.
- Training capsules provided by the company.
- The opportunity to form part of a multidisciplinary research centre of excellence with HRS4R recognition.
Required information and contact
Those interested must send a letter of motivation explaining their interest in the post, a CV and the contacts of 2-3 referees to the address email@example.com
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT INCLUDE THE REFERENCE CODE IN THE SUBJECT LINE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
After pre-selection the short list of candidates will be invited for interview.
DEADLINE FOR APLLICATIONS:
The first call for applications will close on 10 January 2021. Call may be extended depending on response. Please check after this date.
For more information see the link: