Call for PhD Candidate Vacancy Disc4All
- Centre / Institution:
- Pompeu Fabra University
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment, Biomedical Informatics
Topic: Multiscale modelling of IVD cell activity & potential tissue turnover
Description: The successful candidate will work on the multiscale modelling of the mechanisms of intervertebral disc regulation. Specifically, the work will target the modelling and simulation of bottomup processes of tissue regulation, through which the dynamics of cell activity contributes to disc tissue turnover in specific regions of interest, in response to multifactorial cell stimulations. Different types of intervertebral disc network models will be used and combined to successively incorporate cell culture experimental data, proteomics measurements and eventually gene variant effects. Interplays of biochemical, mechanical and nutritional cell stimulation will be modelled in representative volume elements through agent-based modelling.
Eventually, collective cell activity will be linked with heterogeneous cell environments predictable through finite element simulations of disc tissue and organ multiphysics.
Supervision: Jérôme Noailly (UPF)
Co-supervision: Ferran Sanz (IMIM), Leonidas Alexopoulos (PAO), Christine Le Maitre (SHU), Benjamin Gantenbein (UBern) Main
Working place: UPF-DTIC, Campus Poble Nou, Barcelona, Spain (https://www.upf.edu/web/etic)
Working lab: BCN-MedTech (https://www.upf.edu/web/bcn-medtech/)
Desired skills and expertise
a) To apply for these MSCA Training positions, applicants must fulfil the following criteria:
· Mobility: to be eligible for a position, you shall not have resided in the same country as the host institution for more than 12 months over the three years previous to the start date of the position, excluding holidays and (refugee status) asylum application.
· Early Stage Researcher (ESR): An ESR shall at the time of recruitment by the host organisation, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research careers and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
Candidates must prove that they fulfil the aforementioned criteria through relevant documentation (certificates, official statements, residency card, ...).
b) Specific requirements for the proposed project:
· Educational Level: Biomedical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Biomedicine or other related fields (master degree or equivalent)
Required languages: English
· Skills/Qualifications: Experience with data infrastructure design and cloud services
· Eligibility to enrol in the PhD programme at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (https://www.upf.edu/web/etic/doctorat)
Contract duration and other benefits
Type of contract: temporary (36 months)
Job status at UPF: full-time Hours per week: 37,5
Incorporation date: April 2021, at the latest
EU Research Framework: H2020 MSCA-ITN-ETN Marie Curie Grant Agreement Number: 955735
The MSCA programme offers a competitive salary and attractive working conditions, in accordance with the MSCA regulations for early stage researchers. You will be enrolled in the PhD programme of Information and Communication Technologies of the UNIVERSITAT POMPEU FABRA - UPF (https://www.upf.edu/web/etic/doctorat), and have the opportunity to learn form a consortium of 19 institutions (11 Beneficiaries, 8 Partner organizations - https://www.upf.edu/web/disc4all/beneficiaries).
In addition to the individual scientific projects, all ESRs will benefit from further continuing education, which includes secondments (to ProtATonce, to Sheffield Hallam University and to the University of Bern, for this specific project), a variety of training courses for specific and transferable skills and active participation and international conferences.
Successful candidates will be offered a 36 months full-time employment contract, with a monthly average gross salary of 3119 €, plus a mobility allowance of 600€ per month (unconditional) and a family allowance of 500€ per month (if applicable). All the amounts mentioned above are expressed before statutory deductions in charge of the Institution and the candidate: National Insurance and Income Tax.
Required information and contact
All the documents that prove the eligibility of the candidate and should be provided. As for the selection process candidates are expected to provide at least the following documents:
· A brief introduction letter (no more than one A4 page) that summarizes the documents and the nature of the information provided for the selection
· A full CV
· The three requested reference letters
· The letter of purpose (no more than two A4 pages)
All documents must be sent by email to the Principal Investigator of the proposed project (Jérôme Noailly - email@example.com) and to the Management of the Disc4All project (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 20th, 2021