Biostatistician for Child Health, radiation and air pollution
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Institute for Global Health
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment, Biomedical Informatics, Biostatistics
- child-health, radiation, and air pollution research
The Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) is a cutting-edge institute addressing global public health challenges through research, translation into policy and education. ISGlobal has a broad portfolio in communicable and non-communicable diseases including environmental and climate determinants, and applies a multidisciplinary scientific approach ranging from the molecular to the population level. Research is organized in three main areas, Malaria and other Infectious Diseases, Child and Maternal Health, and Urban Health, Climate & Non-Communicable Diseases. ISGlobal is accredited with the Severo Ochoa distinction, a seal of excellence of the Spanish Science Ministry.
What We Are Looking for:
We are looking for a biostatistician to join our young, dynamic teams in child-health, radiation, and air pollution research. We are working on several national and international* projects generating a large amount of data which are to be processed, stored, analysed, and well documented. As biostatistician, you will be streamlining this process in collaboration with the project partners (project managers, biostatisticians, and epidemiologists), as well as conducting complex statistical analysis on a variety of environmental and health topics, as well on big data in collaboration with the bioinformatics group. This also includes statistical input on research protocols, grant applications, reports, and manuscripts.
*Some of the international projects you will start working with are:
- Embryorad - Radiofréquences, autres facteurs environnementaux, et dévelopement de l'embryon et du foetus (nº 2018/2 RF/25, funded by ANSES)
- FRONTIER - Traffic-related air pollution and birth weight: the roles of noise, placental function, green space, physical activity, and socioeconomic status (funded by the Health Effects Institute)
- EUCAN-Connect- A federated FAIR platform enabling large-scale analysis of high-value cohort data connecting Europe and Canada in personalized health' (Funded by H2020, Ga Nº824989
- ATHLETE - Advancing Tools for Human Early Lifecourse Exposome Research and Translation (Funded by H2020, Ga Nº874583)
- Environmental science.
- Computer Sciences.
- Transfer and manage data from national and international studies
- Maintain close contacts with the national and international studies and research teams
- Carry out cleaning, quality control, and documentation of databases used for different projects
- Conduct appropriate statistical analyses of complex large datasets and big data
- Provide input on the interpretation of the results
- Prepare tables for use in publications and reports
- Provide input on development of methods sections of publications and reports
- Provide statistical support to the researchers of the group
- Provide statistical input to development and submission of grant applications
Desired skills and expertise
Training and experience /Qualifications:
- Higher education in biostatistics or related topics
- Sound knowledge of theoretical and applied statistics
- Experience in processing and managing of complex data, large datasets, and big data
- Programming skills with main data management and statistical tools, preferably STATA and R
- Previous experience in epidemiological, medical or laboratory sciences an advantage
- Keen interest in environmental exposure and child health research
- Motivated researcher capable of setting and meeting deadlines and delivering research outputs to the required standard
- Strong organization and team-working skills
- Professional attitude with attention to details
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
Language level: Proficiency in English (written and spoken)
Contract duration and other benefits
- Duration:1 year (renewable)
- Starting date: as soon as possible
- Contract: (part or full time) Full time
During the crisis caused by COVID19, standard working conditions will be adapted to sanitary requirements.
Required information and contact
How to apply:
Applicants must fill in the request form and include the following code reference position: Biostatistician_ ChildHealth _ Nov2020,attach the CV and a Cover Letter. Each attached document must be named with the candidate name and surname.
The receipt of applications will be open until a candidate is selected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Only the applications submitted through the request form will be considered.
In ISGlobal we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such as age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings, religion or sexual orientation.