Junior research engineer for Social Link Analytics (RE1)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Computational Genomics
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 650 staff from 49 countries.
Context And Mission
Within the Life Sciences Department, we are looking for a junior research engineer to work on a recently granted project to explain the relationship between the vulnerability of Internet users to fake news and the dynamics of propagation and repercussion of these contents on social media. By combining experimental research with quantitative and qualitative methods, the project will explore the phenomenon from a holistic and comprehensive perspective. The research engineer will be part of a team within this project that will develop tools, methods, and guidelines that can be employed by public health institutions, media organizations, and the general public to counteract the dissemination of fake news.
The work will be carried out at the Social Link Analytics unit. The unit develops methodologies to determine the social consequences of scientific projects, by analyzing large data sets to assess the consequences of the implementation of specific projects, monitoring their progress and assisting in the planning of new projects. The successful candidate will interact directly with a team working in text mining and language processing covering both domain-application and project development related aspects.
Desired skills and expertise
- Study tactics and techniques used to disseminate fake news in social media.
- Develop methods to understand the impact of fake news published in social media.
- Design and implement tools that facilitate the profiling of social media users who participate in discussions around fake news.
- Participate in writing scientific articles, blogs, and online media posts.
Education: Degree in Computer Science, Data analysis or related discipline.
Experience with software development and at least one of the following:
- Experience in Python programming language.
Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience with Python data science tools (e.g., Pandas, Numpy, Jupyter Notebooks, Scikit-learn, Matplotlib/Seaborn) to obtain, curate, clean, analyze, and visualization of information.
Competences: Excellent verbal and written Spanish. English language skills are also appreciated.
Contract duration and other benefits
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details