Industrial Doctorate at JCI
- Centre / Institution:
- Josep Carreras LEUKAEMIA Research Institute
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment
The Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute (JCI) is seeking for a highly motivated candidate to enrol in an Industrial Doctorate to collaborate with the Manel Esteller Research Group, and the Startup ViRe Instruments. The PhD will be carried on primarily in the JCI (Badalona, Barcelona). Possible short secondments at the University of Cambridge.
This is a highly interdisciplinary research project in the boundaries between Epigenetics, Image Analysis and Processing and Artificial Intelligence. Any students with a degree (i.e MSc) related to Translational Medicine, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Bioinformatics, Artificial Intelligence, Genetics or similar, enabling to enrol to a PhD program, are encouraged to apply.
The average mark of the studies allowing to access to the PhD Program should be between 6.5 and 10 (out of 10) and also a high confidence and a strong background in C/C++/C# and/or other programming languages is a must.
Desired skills and expertise
What we need?
- Degree in Medicine, Computer Science, Physics, Biology, Mathematics, or similar.
- Master in Translational Medicine, Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Bioinformatics, Artificial Intelligence, Genetics, or similar.
- Proficient in writing and speaking in English.
- Catalan and Spanish will be an asset.
- The average mark of the studies that allow access to the PhD Program should be between 6.5 and 10.
- High confidence in C/C++/C# and/or other programming languages.
- Knowledge of direct nanoscale (molecular scale) analytical tools (i.e nanoscopy) applied to molecular/genetic diseases.
- Low level CPU and GPU programming (CUDA) (valuable). Artificial Intelligence knowledge (valuable).
- Python, R, Matlab, and/or other scientific languages knowledge (valuable). Proposal writing experience (valuable). Labview knowledge will be an advantage.
- Communication skills, autonomy, proactivity and team work skills.
Previous work experience:
- Research assistant fellowships in any of the fields of the required degrees will be valued.
- Other fellowships and/or contracts in private sectors (i.e. in A.I.) will also be an added value.
- Innovation consultancy and/or proposal writing experience will also be considered as a plus.
The PhD student tasks will include but are not be limited to:
- Get training in the basic instrumentation for genetic analysis in IJC, both indirect and mainly direct (microscopy) and getting documented with the state-of-the-art processing, visualization and analysis tools having access to top journal articles. A deeper knowledge in advanced nanoscopy instruments through optional secondments in the Cambridge University and ICFO.
- Getting transversal skills of technology transfer that will be provided by the fellowship management and by the company (for instance innovation proposal writing, patent managing, company regulations, etc.).
- The core of the project will be to work on a programming toolchain for processing, visualization and analysis of 3D molecular bio-images applied to cancer epigenetics on the cloud (using mainly IBM POWER9, Intel x86 and Tesla (CUDA) architectures).
- Obtain cutting edge experimental epigenetics data and process it, building an application with the help of the programming toolchain, to tackle a relevant cancer epigenetic problem (with optional secondments in the University of Cambridge and ICFO).
- The final stage will be to write and defend the Phd Thesis with all the research results.
Contract duration and other benefits
What we offer?
- We offer the opportunity to contribute to cutting‐edge research projects in a competitive and dynamic international environment.
- The international network of the Esteller lab.
- Temporary contract: 3 years
- Start date: June - September 2020
- Working in the mixed basic and clinical research environment of the Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute.
- The stimulating environment of the Barcelona metropolitan area.
- For more information, please visit the Regulatory bases
Required information and contact
How to apply?
- Candidates must send an updated CV with the contact details of 2 referees, a motivation letter to jobs(ELIMINAR)@carrerasresearch.org indicating in the subject of the message: REF.: ID_ME_20
Deadline for Applications: Deadline expression of interest: may 28th 2020
Please find all the details of the call and the application instructions in the following link: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/519261