Bioinformatics Analyst Position - RNAseq Analysis
- Centre / Institution:
- Center for Genomic Regulation
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Computational Genomics
- More information:
- Download file
The Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG) is one of the largest Genome Sequencing Centers in Europe. CNAG-CRG researchers participate in major International Genomic Initiatives such as the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC), the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC), the International Rare Diseases Research Consortium (IRDiRC) and the European Infrastructure for life-science information (ELIXIR), as well as in several EU-funded projects.
It is integrated with the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG shares principles of an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team that is supported by high-end and innovative technologies and a flexible and efficient administration.
In November 2013, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the 'HR Excellence in Research' logo from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
We have an opening for a Bioinformatics Analyst through the EU-funded IMI project IMMUCan. The IMMUCan project aims to make significant ways into the understanding of cancer immunotherapy. Topics for the Bioinformatics Analyst include analysis of RNA sequencing experiments, the development of measures to evaluate results and interpretation of ongoing biology. We are looking for highly motivated and creative thinking individuals who are interested in working in an environment where the technical sophistication meets innovative approaches for interpreting data and generating new knowledge.
The candidate should be able to work as a team member, learn new skills rapidly, and have excellent communication skills.
About the lab
The successful candidates will be integrated into the IMMUCan project of the Biomedical Genomics Group led by Dr. Ivo Gut and will work with Dr. Anna Esteve of the Functional Genomics Team.
Dr. Ivo Gut is the CNAG-CRG director and head of the Biomedical Genomics group. He coordinates the BCLL@las project and the European Advanced Sequencing Infrastructure project (EASI-Genomics),
funded by the European Commission. Dr. Ivo Gut participates in H2020 projects B-CAST, SPIDIA-4P, ELIXIR-EXCELERATE, SOLVE-RD, EJP-RD and EuCanCan. In addition, the CNAG-CRG participates in major Spanish initiatives in Personalized Medicine such as the PERIS projects MedPERCAN and URDCat, the 1,000 Catalan Genomes project, and the Navarra project on personalized medicine.
The Biomedical Genomics Group focusses on furthering the understanding of diseases using different types of genomic data, novel statistical approaches and bioinformatics.
Big data approaches are used to identify patterns on genome, transcriptome and epigenome level that correlate with a disease and the evolution across the course of the disease. The objective is to answer questions that go beyond the initial hypotheses that underlay the studies to shed light on how genome sequence, structure and usage relates to disease, disease initiation, disease progression and disease mechanisms. The group also studies genomic features related to disease at different cellular levels. The disease areas range from rare to common disorders including cancer.
Desired skills and expertise
Whom would we like to hire?
- You have good knowledge of Computational Biology/Biostatistics
- You are interested in working in an environment where the technical sophistication meets innovative approaches
Desirable but not required/ Nice to have
- You hold a PhD degree
Education and training
- You have completed a Master's Degree in Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Statistics or similar
- You are fluent in English
- You have experience working with remote distributed job systems (e.g Slurm)
- You are competent in R, Python or Jupyter
- You have highly developed organization skills
- You have multi tasking and problem solving skills
- You have the ability to learn new skills rapidly
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are a creative thinking individual
Contract duration and other benefits
The Offer - Working Conditions
- Contract duration: 2 Years
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
- Target start date: January, 2020
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter addressed to Dr. Ivo Gut.
- A complete CV including contact details.
- Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Dr. Ivo Gut and be submitted online on the CRG Career site - http://www.crg.eu/en/content/careers/job-opportunities
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVS. It will be merit-based.
- Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
- Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.