BIOINFORMATICIAN (ref. LAB/19/11)
- Centre / Institution:
- Institute for Research in Biomedicine (IRB Barcelona)
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Computational Genomics
We are searching for a highly motivated bioinformatician to work in a Cancer Genomics Research group. The position is to work on the development of bioinformatics tools and pipelines and support our interdisciplinary team of researchers in their analysis. She/he will be working in close collaboration with researchers and will have the opportunity to adopt a technician role or get more involved in the research. The ideal candidate would have software development experience with Python, knowledge in data analysis, and previous experience in bioinformatics. Active involvement in open source projects will be an asset. She/he should have strong analytical skills, in addition to creativity, curiosity, enthusiasm, and ability to work in a team. The candidate will participate and perform the activities, tasks, and reports within the framework of the INB project funded by ISCIII and FEDER ( ref: PT17/0009/0013).
The BBGLab is a strong interdisciplinary and international research team with unique expertise in the analysis of tumor genomics data. Publications in http://bbglab.irbbarcelona.org
Desired skills and expertise
Must Have - Required
- MSc. in Bioinformatics or equivalent working experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of statistics and data analysis.
- Strong programming skills, ideally in Python (including data analysis, visualization and exploration packages, such as numpy, scipy, scikit-learn, matplotlib, seaborn, jupyter-notebook).
- Experience in collaborative software development using Git.
- Experience with Linux environments.
- Familiarity with high performance computing (parallel execution, computational pipelines, workload managers...).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in international teams.
- Experience in cancer genomics.
- Experience with workflow management tools (NextFlow, Snakemake)
- Knowledge of container technologies (e.g. Docker).
- Ability to work independently and within a collaborative research team, and ability to comply with tight deadlines.
Contract duration and other benefits
The successful candidate will participate in the development, update improvement and maintenance of different tools developed within the Group. In particular, the applicant will be responsible for the development and maintenance of:
- Cancer Genome Interpreter
- Other tools and services assigned by the PI
In addition, the candidate will:
-Be involved in the development of tools and approaches within several research projects
-Prepare Technical Reports in cooperation with the P.I
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations under a full-time contract. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of an established research group.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
Required information and contact
Applications for the above opening should include CV and a letter of interest, and should be sent by e-mail to irbjobs(ELIMINAR)@irbbarcelona.org Reference: LAB/19/11