- Centre / Institution:
- Center for Genomic Regulation
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment
- More information:
- Download file
The Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG) is one of the largest Genome Sequencing Centers in Europe. CNAG-CRG researchers participate in major International Genomic Initiatives such as the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC), the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC), the International Rare Diseases Research Consortium (IRDiRC) and the European Infrastructure for life-science information (ELIXIR), as well as in several EU-funded projects.
It is integrated with the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG shares principles of an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team that is supported by high-end and innovative technologies and a flexible and efficient administration.
In November 2013, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the 'HR Excellence in Research' logo from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
We are looking for a software engineer to join the CNAG-CRG Bioinformatics Unit and participate in the development of biomedical data storage and analysis platforms. In particular, the successful candidate will focus on the new 3TR platform. 3TR is a new EU H2020 project under the Innovative Medicines Initiative 2 (IMI2) programme. The 3TR consortium will works towards the identification of the Molecular Mechanisms of non-response to Treatments, Relapses and Remission in Autoimmune, Inflammatory, and Allergic Conditions
More about 3TR at https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/224791/factsheet/en
Technologies currently in use by the CNAG-CRG group include Hadoop, ElasticSearch, Postgres, Scala, Angular, React and Python. Therefore, knowledge of multiple programming languages and paradigms and experience using large datasets would be an advantage.
- Evaluate specifications and contribute to architecture design
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of the 3TR data platform.
- Integrate with other databases and platforms
- Integrate analysis tools
- Collaborate with data analysts and software engineers
- Interact with national and international partners
About the department
The selected candidate will join a team of 5 engineers within the Bioinformatics Analysis Unit, which overall includes 19 highly-trained members with a wide range of skills, including bioinformatics analysis, medical genomics, software development and engineering. The Unit is focused on NGS data analysis and tools development mostly related to human health, and participates in several major national and international initiatives. The Unit develops the RD-Connect Genome-Phenome Analysis Platform (platform.rd-connect.eu).
Desired skills and expertise
Whom would we like to hire?
- You have at least 2 years working experience as SW engineer or similar role in Unix operating systems.
Desirable but not required/ Nice to have
- You have knowledge of Bioinformatics / High Throughput Sequencing and/or human genetics.
Education and training
- You hold a BSc or higher in Software Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or similar.
- You are proficient in English
- You have experience with software control version.
- You have experience with ontologies in the healthcare context
- You have interest in functional programming
- You have experience with server (i.e. Flask) and client side (i.e. React) frameworks.
- You have experience with TDD.
- You have experience with elasticsearch/solr, cassandra/hbase.
- You have highly developed organization skills
- You are proactive
- You are team worker
Contract duration and other benefits
The Offer - Working Conditions
- Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
- Target start date: As soon as possible
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities. To check out our training and development portfolio, please visit our website in the training section.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter addressed to Dr. Sergi Beltran
- A complete CV including contact details.
- Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Dr. Sergi Beltran and be submitted online on the CRG Career site - http://www.crg.eu/en/content/careers/job-opportunities
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection process will be based on qualifications and expertise reflected on the candidates CVS. It will be merit-based.
- Interview: Preselected candidates will be interviewed by the Hiring Manager of the position and a selection panel if required.
- Offer Letter: Once the successful candidate is identified the Human Resources department will send a Job Offer, specifying the start day, salary, working conditions, among other important details.
Deadline: Please submit your application by the 9th of March, 2020