Bioinformatics predoctoral position at the Neurogenesis and Cortical Expansion Group
- Centre / Institution:
- The Spanish National Research Council
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- bioinformatic analysis of genome-wide datasets, statistics, programming
The Neurogenesis and Cortical Expansion Lab, at the Instituto de Neurociencias, Alicante (CSIC-UMH), is seeking a highly motivated student to develop a PhD in our team at the Institute of Neuroscience in Alicante, Spain, a "Severo Ochoa Excellence Research Center". The predoctoral researcher will work on a project funded by a Plan Nacional project that aims at understanding the genetic and epigenetic mechanisms governing the expansion and folding of the cerebral cortex during amniote evolution. The Neurogenesis and Cortical Expansion Lab is led by Victor Borrell.
Desired skills and expertise
The predoctoral researcher will be involved in the bioinformatic analysis of high dimensional genomic datasets (RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, ATACseq, HiC, single cell RNA-seq), to elucidate the evolution of mechanisms regulating gene expression during embryonic development and relevant for the expansion and folding of the mammalian brain.
The candidate must have a strong background on the bioinformatic analysis of genome-wide datasets, good programming skills (R, Python) and proficiency in statistics. Genuine interest for basic biomedical and interdisciplinary research will be valued, as interaction with wet-bench researchers in the lab is key for the success of this project. Additional specific training may be provided as needed, including collaborative visits to The Broad Institute (Harvard, USA).
Contract duration and other benefits
We offer an FPI contract (4 years) associated to this research project. The candidate will join a research team of three postdoctoral researchers, five PhD students and two technicians. The lab and the Institute of Neuroscience offers extensive networking and additional training opportunities.
AEI Predoctoral contract (FPI)
Expected starting date: Inmediate
Duration: December 2023
· Llinares-Benadero C, Borrell V. "Deconstructing cerebral cortical folding: genetic, celular and mechanical determinants." Nat Rev Neurosci 20:161-176 (2019)
· Cárdenas A. , Villalba A, De Juan Romero C, Picó E, Kyrousi C, Tzika AC, Tessier-Lavigne M, Ma L, Drukker M, Cappello S, Borrell V. "Evolution of cortical neurogenesis in amniotes controlled by Robo signaling levels." Cell 174:590-606 (2018)
· De Juan Romero C, Bruder C, Tomasello U, Sanz-Anquela JM and Borrell V. "Discrete domains of gene expression in germinal layers distinguish the development of gyrencephaly" EMBO J 34:1859-1874 (2015)
Required information and contact
Candidates should submit a brief CV and a letter of motivation to: email@example.com
Please include "NCEG - Predoctoral position" in the subject of your email.