Post-doc Researchers in Computer Science and Bioinformatics (R2)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment, Biomedical Informatics
- ICO NBI
Context And Mission
Professor Nataša Pržulj is looking for several post-docs to work in machine learning and network science. They will be developing new algorithms for computationally hard problems and applying them to analyzing large-scale molecular and patient data to aid drug discovery and personalizing treatment. The successful candidates will work on the prestigious ERC Consolidator grant of Prof. Pržulj.
The successful candidates will address developing and applying sophisticated machine learning and network science models and algorithms. The algorithms will be carefully tuned to extract relevant biological and medical knowledge from systems-level real-world molecular and medical data. The aim is to utilize them to understand the structure of the data that would enable mining the data for new biological and medical insight that would further lead to improving diagnostics, discovering new biomarkers, improving patient stratification and treatment, personalizing treatment and facilitate rational drug development. The successful candidates will join a dynamic research group of Prof. Przulj within BSC. The students will work in a highly sophisticated HPC environment, will have access to systems and computational infrastructures, and will establish collaborations with experts in different areas.
- Conduct high-quality research
- Publish in high impact journals and conferences
- Present research at national and international conferences and meetings
- Collaborate with various research groups across Europe and elsewhere
- Help supervise PhD and MSc students
- Participate in grant writing and organizational activities
- Participate in educational and outreach activities
Desired skills and expertise
- PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Bioinformatics, or a related field
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Good publication record for the career stage
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Good technical skills including at least several of the following: algorithms, data analysis, graph, network and complexity theory, scientific computing, statistics, machine learning, programming in C, C++, a scripting language and Matlab, using a parallel computing environment, bioinformatics, network biology, network medicine, network analytics, medical informatics.
Contract duration and other benefits
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: ASAP
All applications must include:
1. A full CV including contact details and publication list.
2. Academic transcripts from all Undergraduate, MSc and PhD degrees.
3. Three letters of recommendation. The references should email their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
4. A statement of motivation and research interests.
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.