Lab Manager/Technician – Epitranscriptomics and RNA Dynamics RNA laboratory
- Centre / Institution:
- Center for Genomic Regulation
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Biomedical Informatics
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG shares principles of an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team that is supported by high-end and innovative technologies and a flexible and efficient administration.
In November 2013, the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) received the 'HR Excellence in Research' logo from the European Commission. This is a recognition of the Institute's commitment to developing an HR Strategy for Researchers, designed to bring the practices and procedures in line with the principles of the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers (Charter and Code).
Please, check out our Recruitment Policy
We are seeking an experienced Lab Manager / Lab Technician to join the Epitranscriptomics and RNA Dynamics group, to provide support in wet lab experiments related to the study of the role of RNA modifications (the "epitranscriptome") and general lab management. The techniques to be used will include next- and third-generation sequencing technologies (library preparation, nanopore sequencing, RNA extraction), molecular biology techniques (western blot, qPCR), cell culturing (mostly mammalian), analysis of protein translation (ribosome profiling, polysome profiling), and general management of mice colonies (online system).
The candidate will also be in charge of the general organization and maintenance of the lab supplies, coordination of laboratory safety and inventory, and placement of purchasing orders using Oracle system.
The candidate will provide support to current ongoing research projects in the lab, as well be involved in the development of novel techniques in close collaboration with other lab members.
The candidate may also have a smaller project of their own to be discussed with the PI related to the research lines of the lab, if this is of interest to the candidate. C/ Dr. Aiguader, 88 08003 Barcelona Tel. +34 93 316 01 00 Fax +34 93 316 00 99 www.crg.es
About the team/ lab/ department
Our lab is focused on deciphering the role that RNA modifications play in a large variety of cellular contexts, including the development of novel technologies to map RNA modifications. In our lab, we are employing a combination of experimental (RNASeq, RIP-Seq polysome profiling, mouse/cell knockouts, Oxford Nanopore direct RNA sequencing) and computational techniques (NGS data analysis, algorithm development, machine learning), to unveil the secrets of three post-transcriptional regulatory layers: the epitranscriptome, RNA structure and ribosome specialization.
Desired skills and expertise
Whom would we like to hire?
- You have a strong background in Molecular Biology (preferably related to RNA biology)
- You have experience in Lab Management
- You have 5 years + experience in a laboratory performing Molecular Biology experiments (western blot, qPCR, RNA extraction, library preparation) as well as cell culturing (preferably mammalian)
Desirable but not required
- You have Animal Handling of Rodents (Functions A,B,C) valid in Spain
- You have strong experience and scientific expertise in the field of post-transcriptional regulation, protein translation and/or RNA modifications
- You have experience with Next-Generation Sequencing library preparations
- You have experience with commonly used techniques for the analysis of RNA modifications (dot blot, RIP-Seq, miCLiP)
- You have experience with commonly used techniques for the analysis of protein translation (polysome profiling, ribosome profiling, SunSet experiments, in vitro transcription)
Education and training
- You hold a BSc, MSc and/or PhD degree in Molecular Biology, Biology, Biochemistry or similar field.
- You have experience in Lab Management, purchasing systems (e.g. Oracle), and Lab Safety procedures
- You have excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- You have the capacity for carrying out duties under minimal supervision
- You have the drive and commitment to produce high quality experimental outcomes
- You have the ability to contribute to preparation of written reports
Contract duration and other benefits
- Contract duration: 1 year contract (renewable)
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
- Target start date: 15th sept 2019
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
1. A motivation letter addressed to Dr. Eva Novoa
2. A complete CV including contact details.
3. Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Dr. Eva Novoa and be submitted online on the CRG Career site - http://www.crg.eu/en/content/careers/job-opportunities