Bioinformatics technician position at the Computational Genomics Group of GRIB (UPF - IMIM)
- Centre / Institution:
- Pompeu Fabra University
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Algorithmics, Biomedical Informatics, Comparative Genomics, Computational Genomics, Functional Genomics
We are seeking a strongly-motivated bioinformatician to contribute to research projects in the computational genomics area at the Research Programme on Biomedical Informatics (GRIB, UPF-IMIM), located at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB). The candidate will be part of the GRIB node of the Spanish National Institute of Bioinformatics (INB) and the project will be supervised by Robert Castelo and M. Mar Albà (http://genomics.upf.edu).
Advances in understanding and treating disease increasingly depend on our capacity to efficiently use large amounts of genomics data. The development of new bioinformatics tools for an easy access to the data is key to make rapid progress. The successful candidate will be in charge of developing web applications that expose some of the software and data sets generated by the computational genomics groups at the GRIB.
We offer a highly-stimulating research environment at the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park, GRIB is a joint research programme between the Pompeu Fabra University and the Hospital del Mar Research Institute at the PRBB. The Center is at the forefront of research in bioinformatics and offers the possibility to attend many conferences and specialized courseS.
Desired skills and expertise
- Bachelor or Master degree in bioinformatics, computer science, mathematics, biology, physics, chemistry, or similar, with strong motivation for quantitative and computational approaches.
- Strong interest in contributing to research in genomics and biomedicine.
- Basic knowledge of UNIX-like operating systems and shell scripting.
- Experience and fluency in programming languages and statistical packages, including Python and R.
- Excellent teamwork/collaboration skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Contract duration and other benefits
We offer a contract from May/June until Dec 31st, with the possibility of extending it over time, with a gross yearly salary of 22.000 EUR.
The position is funded by the Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (INB) under grant number PT17/0009/0014. The INB is an institutional platform founded in 2003 that is part of the Spanish National Health Institute Carlos III. Researchers from INB participate in the coordination, integration and development of bioinformatics resources in the areas of genomics, proteomics and translational medicine. The INB is part of the European Bioinformatics Network Elixir.
Required information and contact
Send CV and letter of interest, to email@example.com (REF: INB_Genomics)
Deadline to submit applications - April 1st 2019
Contact: Carina Oliver, Management - Research Programme on Biomedical Informatics (GRIB, IMIM/UPF)