Bioinformatician position for the European Genome-phenome Archive
- Centre / Institution:
- Center for Genomic Regulation
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Computational Genomics
The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. The CRG shares principles of an interdisciplinary, motivated and creative scientific team that is supported by high-end and innovative technologies and a flexible and efficient administration.
CRG has been conferred with a badge of 'HR Excellence in Research' by the European Commission, in recognition to its progress in implementing the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for Recruitment of Researchers, that among others consists of transparent, merit-based recruitment procedures and attractive work-life balance working conditions.
For further information: www.crg.eu
The Bioinformatician holder will contribute to the quality control, curation and enrichment of EGA metadata and raw data in a context of HPC and Big Data. Additionally, he/she would contribute to explore new services/options to be offered to users. Ideal candidates should have a MSc in bioinformatics, human genomics or related field and a minimum of two years of relevant experience. Proficiency in some common programming language (e.g. Python, Java), R, and relational databases (e.g. MySQL and PostgreSQL) is required. Knowledge of web development technologies would be a very valuable skill. The post holder will be expected to be comfortable working in a UNIX environment and with very large databases.
About the team/ lab/ department
The European Genome-phenome Archive
The Center for Genomic Regulation (CRG, www.crg.eu) in Barcelona entered, five years ago, a partnership with the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI, www.ebi.ac.uk) to share responsibility for the development of the European Genome Phenome Archive (ega-archive.org) in the context of the European Bioinformatics Infrastructure ELIXIR (www.elixir-europe.org). The EGA team at the CRG interacts intensely with its counterpart group at the EBI. The CRG project is supported by the Spanish National Institute for Bioinformatics (INB, www.inab.org), the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC, www.bsc.es), the Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF, www.upf.edu) and the "La Caixa" Foundation (obrasocial.lacaixa.es) and is based at the Barcelona's Biomedical Research Park (PRBB, www.prbb.org).
The EGA is a world class leader on the field of genomic human data management and strengthen its role in the Precision Medicine area. The EGA team is playing a relevant role, also, in many initiatives from the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (https://ga4gh.org/)
The EGA team at the CRG is currently recruiting one position at the postdoctoral level. We are seeking a bioinformatician who will work closely with the rest of the team members at the CRG and the EBI.
Desired skills and expertise
Whom would we like to hire?
- You hold a MSc in human bioinformatics, genomics or a closely related field.
- You have a minimum of two years of relevant experience.
- You have proven experience in human genome handling. Proficiency in some common programming language (e.g. Python, Java) and relational databases (e.g. MySQL and PostgreSQL) is expected. The post holder will be expected to be comfortable working in a UNIX environment and with very large databases.
- You are fluent in English
- You have experience on Office-like applications usage, e.g. Excel, Word, Powerpoint
- Good teamwork and presentation skills
Desirable but not required
- HPC Cluster experience
- Web development technologies
- Statistical analysis with R experience
- Microarray analysis knowledge
- Disease related ontologies knowledge
- New sequencing technologies (e.g. long reads, single-cell)
- Bigdata technologies knowledge (e.g. HBase, MongoDB...)
Contract duration and other benefits
- Contract duration: 2 years, including a trial period
- Estimated annual gross salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and consistent with our pay scales.
- Target start date: As soon as possible
We provide a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructures, and unique professional career development opportunities.
We offer and promote a diverse and inclusive environment and welcomes applicants regardless of age, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion or sexual orientation.
The CRG is committed to reconcile a work and family life of its employees and are offering extended vacation period and the possibility to benefit from flexible working hours.
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter addressed to Jordi Rambla.
- A complete CV including contact details.
- Contact details of two referees.
All applications must be addressed to Jordi Rambla.and be submitted online on the CRG Career site - http://www.crg.eu/en/content/careers/job-opportunities
Deadline: Please submit your application by 16/03/2019