Research Engineer – EUCANCan (RE23)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Computational Genomics
- life science
The Computational Genomics group is looking for a highly motivated Research Engineer willing to contribute to the field of cancer genomics. The group is currently pushing and coordinating different international initiatives to develop and implement bioinformatics and computational infrastructures for genomic oncology, which will support personalized diagnosis, prevention and treatment protocols within a Personalized Medicine environment. All this activity is carried out within a international and collaborative working environment that involves leading groups and consortia in the field of oncology, bioinformatics and computing.
In particular, the group is coordinating the EUropean-CANadian Cancer (EUCANCan) project, which aims at supporting and enhancing modern oncology, by implementing a cultural, technological and legal integrative framework across Europe and Canada, for the efficient analysis, management and sharing of cancer genomic data. This cooperative framework is not only expected to immediately contribute to improve biomedical research in cancer, but to also serve as a model for globalizing and enriching Personalized Medicine initiatives around the world, allowing the exchange of data, clinical experience and information across different healthcare systems. The project involves leading participant centers in Canada and Europe, such as the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR), the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC), the Institute Curie in Paris, the Carité Hospital in Berlin, as well as three of the major hospitals and research centers of our country (IDIBAPS-Hospital Clinic, VHIO-Hospital Vall d'Hebron, and IDIBELL-Hospital de Bellvitge), which also generates an ideal network and environment to foster computing and bioinformatic professional careers.
In order to build the computing and methodological infrastructure within this project we seek motivated researchers with strong computational background able to contribute to overcome the challenges of developing and integrating different methods and pipelines for the analysis of genomic NGS sequences, into high performance and cloud supercomputing environments. Specifically, this involves dealing with, among others, container-based virtualization (eg. docker and singularity), big data, protocols and/or technologies to deploy tools and pipelines both locally and remotely, working with container and pipeline repositories (eg. Dockstore and ESOC BioContainers) and workload orchestration with tools like Docker Swarm, Kubernetes or OpenShift.
Priority will be given to highly motivated, persistent and proactive candidates with a computer-related background and with the ambition to develop their career in the field of computational genomics and biomedicine.
More information about the group and the activity of the department can be found at: http://www.bsc.es/discover-bsc/organisation/scientific-structure/computational-genomics
Desired skills and expertise
- Development and automation of genomic data analysis workflows in both HPC and cloud environments
- Porting of containerized pipelines into HPC and cloud infrastructures
- Research and benchmarking of bioinformatics tools and pipelines for the analysis of omic data in biomedicine
- Contribute to the development of technical standards and protocols to improve genomic and clinical data sharing
- Implement software pipelines for the identification and interpretation of somatic and germline variants in disease genomes
- Attendance to project meetings around the world
- Contribution to project deliverables
Contract duration and other benefits
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 2 years renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: asap
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter with a statement of interest, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV including contact details