INB/ELIXIR-ES Training and Support Officer (RE1)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Biomedical Informatics
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 500 staff from 44 countries.
Look at the BSC experience:
BSC-CNS YouTube Channel
BSC-CNS Corporate Video
Let's stay connected with BSC Folks!
Context And Mission
ELIXIR (European Life Science Infrastructure for Biological Information) is a pan-european organization founded in 2014, which aims to integrate and harmonize European bioinformatics infrastructures. ELIXIR coordinates the participation of more than 20 countries, engages with other strategic European initiatives and projects e.g. ESFRI, Research Data Alliance, EUDat, EGI; promotes specific training activities and workshops on ELIXIR resources, partners with industry, and play a key role in shaping the bioinformatics landscape.
Spain is member of ELIXIR since 2015, with the INB (Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute) as the Spanish national node. INB is a technological platform of the Instituto de Salud Carlos III (ISCIII) and is coordinated by the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (BSC). Within ELIXIR, the INB is responsible for the bioinformatics portfolio of services, infrastructures and training activities offered by Spain, and therefore, should guarantee its alignment to the strategic areas put forward by ELIXIR as well as to increase the translational impact of INB groups into the Spanish National Health System (Sistema Nacional de Salud). Indeed, the INB promotes and coordinates a network of translational bioinformatics groups at Healthcare Research Institutes across Spain (TransBioNet).
We are looking for a candidate to overview and contribute to manage the INB/ELIXIR-ES training programme as well as to assist on the management of the core activities of the INB/ELIXIR-ES Coordination node at BSC.
- Contribute to revamp the training programme offered by INB/ELIXIR-ES
- Collaborate with other groups and institutes part of INB/ELIXIR-ES to offer a consistent and coherent training offer to ELIXIR.
- Perform periodic assessments and surveys to identify existing and emerging training needs of the Spanish Bioinformatics Community including TransBioNet members.
- Follow up the periodic calls organized by INB/ELIXIR-ES to fund training activities.
- Contribute to the coordination activities of INB/ELIXIR-ES and TransBioNet.
- Contribute to keep up-to-date the media tools of the INB/ELIXIR-ES.
Desired skills and expertise
- University Degree (some relation with Life Sciences is desirable).
- Courses in project management is a plus.
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- At least 1 year of experience in similar positions.
- At least 1 year of experience in organizing events such conferences.
- Familiar with project management and communication tools e.g. GoToMeeting, Trello, etc.
- Familiar with content management systems e.g. Drupal, WordPress.
- Familiar with e-learning platforms
- Experience as trainer, ideally in life sciences
- Fluency in English. Writing and spoken. Good report writing skills essential.
- Strong personal soft-skills sets: Communicative, enthusiastic, highly collaborative, proactive, self-driven.
- Willing to travel occasionally.
- Used to working autonomously.
- Used to working under pressure with strict deadlines.
- Good skills in word processing, spreadsheets and presentation applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint or equivalents)
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
Contract duration and other benefits
- The position will be located at BSC within the Life Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience
of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: September 2018
Required information and contact
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter with a statement of interest, including two contacts for further references - COMPULSORY - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.