Big Data Software Engineer
- Centre / Institution:
- Center for Genomic Regulation
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment, Biomedical Informatics, Computational Genomics, High Performance Computing (HPC)
The Centro Nacional de Análisis Genómico (CNAG-CRG) is one of the largest Genome Sequencing Centers in Europe. It provides world-class core bioinformatics resources to the Catalan, Spanish and International research communities. The CNAG-CRG researchers participate in major International Genomic Initiatives such as the International Cancer Genome Consortium (ICGC), the International Human Epigenome Consortium (IHEC), the International Rare Diseases Research Consortium (IRDiRC) and the European Infrastructure for life-science information (ELIXIR), as well as in several EU-funded projects.
The CNAG-CRG leads the development of a clinical-genomics platform, within the framework of the EU FP7 funded project RD-Connect. The platform allows easy analysis and interpretation of exomes and genomes while connecting databases, registries, biobanks and clinical bioinformatics for rare disease research (https://platform.rd-connect.eu).
We are looking for a software engineer to participate in the developing tasks of the RD-Connect platform using a mix of languages and tools to process and display the data. Technologies currently in use include Hadoop, ElasticSearch, Postgres, Scala. Angular and Python. Therefore, knowledge of multiple programming languages and paradigms and experience using large datasets would be an advantage.
The developer will integrate in the CNAG's Bioinformatics Analysis Unit and work with highly qualified database developers and software engineers and world-class research groups.
- Participate in the design, development and maintenance of the RD-Connect Genome-Phenome Platform
- Integrate analysis tools
- Integrate with other databases/platforms
- Collaborate with data analysts and software engineers developers
- Interact with national and international partners
Desired skills and expertise
- BSc or higher in Software Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science or similar
- At least 1 year working experience as SW engineer or similar role in Unix operating systems
- Experience with software control version
- Proactive and team worker
- MSc or PhD degree
- Experience with TDD
- Experience with task automation
- Experience with spark, hadoop, elasticsearch/solr , cassandra/hbase
- Experience with distributed file systems
- Knowledge of Bioinformatics / High Throughput Sequencing and/or human genetics
- Interest in functional programming
Contract duration and other benefits
We offer a competitive salary for 1 year with the possibility of extension and career development.
Required information and contact
Interested candidates may submit a CV and a brief statement of experience and interests before December 17th 2017 (23:00 local time) to the recruitment portal in the link below: