Research scientist position for Natural Language Processing - R2/R3
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Biomedical Informatics
- More information:
- Download file
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 500 staff from 44 countries.
Context and Mission
We are looking for a senior computational linguist researcher with a broad experience in natural language processing and language technologies tools for the OpenMinted project, in particular for tasks related to the organization of open tender calls and evaluation of the usability and quality of the language processing platform developed in the context of this project.
He/she will interact directly with a team working in biomedical text mining and language processing covering both domain-application and project development related aspects. He/she will be directly involved in innovation application projects from initial project planning, design, development and evaluation phases. In addition to natural language abilities there will be a requirement for project management related tasks: scoping, planning, time-management and deliverable writing.
The position will be part of the LIFE SCIENCES department, in the research group lead by Alfonso Valencia in the context of the OpenMinted project, with the aim to evaluate and test the OpenMinted (OMTD) natural language processing platform applied to scholarly content.
- Actively participating and working alongside the project management in designing proposals, project scoping, and evaluation procedures for natural language applications and solutions based upon users, prospect and partner requirements encompassed in technical specifications
- Utilizing several technical skills to plan enhancement of application natural language capabilities through integrations, interfaces and additional coding
- Planning, design and implementation of evaluation of natural language platforms and applications to assess solution capabilities and to determine relevant development options to deliver impactful outcomes
- Technical English writing of project deliverables, in close collaboration with software developers
- Monitoring and evaluating feedback from users and identification of improvement actions
The candidate will work closely with experts in NLP and text mining infrastructures applied to life sciences documents in the context of the European OpenMinted project
Desired skills and expertise
- Higher degree in computer sciences, engineering, computational linguistics/linguistics or equivalent
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Experience in project management related tasks: scoping, task planning and tracking, time-management and deliverable writing
- Demonstrated participation in international projects, preferably European FP projects and international collaboration
- Experience in project management related tasks
- Demonstrated experience with several language processing platforms (e.g. GATE, OpenNLP, FreeLing, IXA pipes, Stanford NLPCore)
- Demonstrated experience in nlp in Spanish and text mining tools in this language
- Familiarity with scientific web service-based workflow platform (e.g. Galaxy, Taverna)
- Demonstrated experience in the integration and evaluation of NLP tools for unstructured information exploitation
- Demonstrated experience in language technologies related data models and metadata schema
- Demonstrated experience in language technologies related standard data formats and text annotation formats
- Additional Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Strong linguistic understanding of linguistic concepts related to morphosyntax, syntax and semantics
- Familiarity with statistics methods in applied natural language analysis and machine-learning.
- Programming skills in at least one of the following languages: Java, Python, C++, Scala
- Strong linguistic background in annotation and development of language resources (corpora, vocabularies, lexica)
- Fluency in spoken and written English, while fluency in other European languages will be also valued
Contract duration and other benefits
- The position will be located at BSC within the LIFE SCIENCES Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Duration of the contract: 6 months, with a test period of 1 month
- Starting date: asap
All applications must include:
- A motivation letter with a statement of interest, including two contacts for further references
- A full CV including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.