Life Sciences Group Leader – R4 (2 POSITIONS)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Agrigenomics, Algorithmics, Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment, Biomedical Informatics, Biostatistics, Chemoinformatics, Comparative Genomics, Computational Genomics, Drug Design, Functional Genomics, Genetic Variation Analysis, High Performance Computing (HPC), Integrative Bioinformatics, Medical Imaging, Metabolomics, Metagenomics, Pathogen Informatics, Pharmacoinformatics, Phylogeny and Evolution, Population Genetics, Proteomics
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 500 staff from 44 countries.
Context and Mission
BSC are looking For a 2 NEW GROUP LEADERS for the Life Sciences Department. We are looking for Computational Biologists with an outstanding record of publications and research projects, able to attract competitive funding. The candidate will take the responsibility to create a new research group and to foster the Department research and transfer initiatives. BSC offers an active research environment, a young an enthusiastic team and a state of the art research infrastructure.
- Ensure the research of the new group, through strategic planning and team leadership
- Contribute and participate in national and international competitive projects
- Control of the group's budget, with the support of the finance department
- Manage the teams, ensuring the scientific and technical standards of the Centre are met
- Define and guide the achievement of the objectives of the group
- Foster and participate in relevant publications in peer reviewed journals
- Report and advice, in the areas of competence, to the Director of LS
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
Desired skills and expertise
- PhD Degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related disciplines
Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- A minimum of 8 years' experience in the scientific area
- Deep knowledge and demonstrated experience in one or more of the areas of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, including but not limited to Computational Genomics, Molecular Modelling, Systems Biology and Systems Medicine
- Excellent scientific record with relevant publications in peer reviewed journals
- Excellent record in managing resources and obtaining funding.
- Demonstrable experience in managing multidisciplinary research teams
- Capacity to interact and build strong relations with scientists in different areas of research from biology to engineering
- Outstanding scientific profile in the area of Bioinformatics and Computational BIology, with international visibility
- In-depth knowledge of biological/biomedical systems
- Key skills in general computation methodology, method and algorithmic development, as well as in the analysis of specific problems in biology / biomedicine.
- Experience in collaboration with Computer Sciences and Engineers in areas of HPC, Cognitive Computing, Big Data
- Excellent networking, communication and strong leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to work in a professional environment within a multidisciplinary and international team
Contract duration and other benefits
- The position will be located at BSC within the Computer Sciences Department
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Core funding and attractive start up package for the group
- A tenure-track five years position with mid-term evaluation after three years (depending of the candidate CV the positions could be directly converted in permanent positions)
- We offer a full-time contract in a competitive research environment integrated in a Center with more than 500 scientists and engineers, with close collaboration with the Department research groups and technical support units.
- A highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure in a world leading computational environment, a vibrant local environment for bioinformatics and computational biology, including collaborations with top research centers and hospitals in Barcelona and elsewhere, plus close research collaboration with IT companies
- Personalized support in raising competitive funds
- Flexible hours, working from home policy, extensive training plan with a specific leadership and development programme, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Starting date: asap
Required information and contact
You can apply at https://www.bsc.es/join-us/job-opportunities/205ls2gl including:
- A motivation letter with a statement of interest, including three letters of reference and a two pages research plan
- A full CV including contact details
The deadline for applications is 15th of December 2017.