Frontend Developer (RE2/RE3) - Spanish National Bioinformatics Institute (INB)
- Centre / Institution:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Center
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Algorithmics, Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment, Biomedical Informatics
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has almost 500 staff from 44 countries.
Context and Mission of the role
ELIXIR (European Life Science Infrastructure for Biological Information) is a pan-european organization founded in 2014, which aims to integrate and harmonize European bioinformatics infrastructures. ELIXIR coordinates the participation of more than 20 countries, engages with other strategic european initiatives and projects e.g. ESFRI, Research Data Alliance, EUDat, EGI; promotes specific training activities and workshops on ELIXIR resources, partners with industry, and play a key role in shaping the bioinformatics landscape. Spain is member of ELIXIR since 2015, with the INB as the Spanish national node. Within ELIXIR, the INB is responsible for the bioinformatics infrastructure offered by Spain, and therefore, should guarantee its alignment to the strategic areas put forward by ELIXIR.
In order to help ELIXIR coordinate and extend national and international data resources to ensure the delivery of world-leading life-science data services, the European Commission granted the ELIXIR-EXCELERATE project. It will support a pan-European training programme, anchored in national infrastructures, to increase bioinformatics capacity and competency. It will also provide efficiencies in management and operation throughout the infrastructure, which is distributed amongst 17 countries. Tasks in ELIXIR-EXCELERATE are divided into Work Packages (WPs).
In this context, OpenEBench (WP2) at http://elixir.bsc.es focuses on providing the infrastructure needed to host community-driven Scientific Benchmark activities and resources technical monitoring.
- Contribute to deliverables and milestones at the ELIXIR-EXCELERATE project, specially to relevant to WP2
- Contribute to develop the OpenEBench (ELIXIR-EXCELERATE WP2) frontend
- Contribute to develop other web frontends e.g. User Manager Interface for RD-Connect
- Design, implement and deploy databases for a variety of projects
- Contribute to supervise other junior members at the INB unit
- Work together with other developers at INB/ELIXIR-ES and other ELIXIR nodes to ensure the appropriate implementation of previously agreed standards and methodologies
Desired skills and expertise
Software Engineer Degree or equivalent Bioinformatics related degrees
- Essential Knowledge and professional experience
At least 1 year of professional experience in the design, implementation and deployment of relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL or similar) and/or non-relational databases (MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Cassandra)
At least 1 year of professional experience with programming languages such as C++, Python and/or Java
- Other knowledge
Experience on MVC frameworks, like Angular and/or React will be highly appreciated
Familiar with software containers technologies such as Dockers and/or Singularity
In order to be successful in this role the candidate should have:
- Fluency in English
- Good writing and presentation skills
- Used to work under pressure under strict deadlines
- Strong personal soft-skills sets: Communicative, enthusiastic, highly collaborative, proactive, self-driven
- Strong technical writing skills
- Experience on developing project technical specifications
- Large experience working with Unix/Linux systems