Web Developer (WD) at the Integrative Biomedical Informatics (IBI) group of GRIB (IMIM-UPF)
- Centre / Institution:
- Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute
- Bioinformatics expertise:
- Bioinformatics of Disease and Treatment, Biomedical Informatics
- web development; web design; web management; relational databases
- More information:
- Download file
A position for a web developer is available in the Integrative Biomedical Informatics (IBI) group led by Ferran Sanz and Laura I. Furlong at GRIB (IMIM-UPF) in Barcelona.
The successful candidate will work in the design, development and management of several websites. These websites include both static and dynamic content provided by relational databases. Examples of the latter are the DisGeNET (http://www.disgenet.org) and PsyGeNET (http://www.psygenet.org) resources developed in our group. The tasks of the Web Developer include the design, development, administration, and maintenance of the different websites in our group. These tasks include both frontend and backend design and implementation. In addition, the candidate will work in close collaboration with other members of the group in a variety of interdisciplinary projects in the area of translational bioinformatics in which these websites are used.
Desired skills and expertise
- University degree in informatics, medical informatics, bioinformatics or related area
- Knowledge of design principles, user interfaces, web standards and usability
- Experience with MVC frameworks (preferably written in Python or PHP)
- Intermediate or high level SQL
- Experience with GIT or other version control systems
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- Good English communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and organization skills
- Must be able to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work within a team
- Have a strong visual design sense and appreciation for developing an excellent user experience
- Enjoy researching and testing the latest and greatest web technologies
- Learn quickly and want to share knowledge
The IBI group is an international research group with interdisciplinary expertise in biology, medicine, pharmacology, chemistry, psychology and informatics. It has a unique experience in the fields of network medicine, systems toxicology and biomedical text mining. Recent achievements include:
- development of the DisGeNET and PsyGeNET knowledge platforms
- development and application of biocuration approaches
- development of network biology approaches to study the mechanisms leading to adverse drug reactions and disease comorbidities
- semantic web approaches for life sciences
- strategies for the reuse of clinical data in biomedical research
- participation in international projects in the aforementioned fields (EMIF, eTOX, Open PHACTS, MedBioinformatics, iPiE, TransQST)
Funding: this position is funded by the Spanish National Health Institute Carlos III under grant number PIE15/ 00008.
Contract duration and other benefits
Up to December 31, 2017 with the possibility of extension.
Required information and contact
Please send a CV, letter of interest and the contact information for 2-3 referees by email to chus.donlo(ELIMINAR)@upf.edu with reference IBI-WD before April 30, 2017.